Measuring for Replacement Doors
HOW TO MEASURE FOR A REPLACEMENT DOOR
- Determine if you need an outswing door or combination
outswing and storm door.
- If measuring for an outswing door measure the width and
height while standing outside the home. For width, measure from the left edge
of the door to the right, taking three horizontal measurements. Record the
smallest size, which is what you will order. For height, take three vertical
measurements from the top of the core of the door to the bottom and record the
- To determine the hand of the door needed, stand outside the
home and facing the door, determine which side the hinges are installed. This
is the hand of the door and is true for both outswing and combo doors.
- To measure the width of a combo door, measure the storm door
core and add 2'' rounding to the nearest even number. For example, if your
measurement is 32 1/8'' you would order a 34'' door. To measure height on a
combo door, measure the height of the storm door core and add 1'' rounding to
the nearest even number. For example, if the height measurement is 80 ¾'' add 1''
and order an 82'' door.
- Finally, measure the depth of the door jamb from the interior edge of the jamb to the weather stripping on the door stop.